I am always being asked, why does my computer now run slow?
Here are a few tips on what you can do to make sure that your computer is running at its optimal pace:
- Prevent programs from automatically running when you start up your computer.
- Open Task Manager and click on the “Start-Up” tab.
- Select a program where the status is “Enabled” then click on the “Disable” button, this will stop the program from running when you start or re-start your computer
- Uninstall programs you no longer need.
- Save old pictures or videos to the cloud or external drive.
- Clean up hard drive space.
- Run the “Disk Clean-Up” utility and it will scan your hard drive
- Click on the “Clean up system files” button
- The Disk Clean-Up utility will do another scan on your hard drive and will include all system files, such as Windows Update file, Old Operating System files (Windows 7, 8, 8.1).
- Select the items that you want deleted from your hard drive and then click on the “OK” button
- The utility will run through and delete the items you selected from item “d” above, once completed you can close the Disk Clean-Up utility
- Run a disk clean-up or repair such as CCleaner or MalwareBytes
- Changing the power plan of your computer to High Performance
- Make sure you have anti-virus, spyware scanner, and anti-malware software installed.
- Run a disk defragment to optimize your hard drive’s efficiency.
- Make sure your computer is running the latest version of the operating system, including Bug-Fixes.
- Add additional RAM to your computer.